This tale begins nearly 10 years ago, because we’ve had a mild level of frustration with the door handles of our ovens from day 1. The ovens are a built-in over/under wall unit.
So, it wasn’t a great surprise when both door handles completely fell off this past weekend. We have a special savings account that we regularly set aside money in just for appliance repair or replacement. Since we now believed it may be time to replace the ovens, we started checking prices, and were shocked to discover that even the least expensive ovens would cost nearly $2k.
It was time to consider a plan B. A while back we had an appliance repairman replace a heating element in one oven, so we called him to ask if he thought the handles could be repaired. He came over, looked at the problem, and said it would depend on being able to find the right replacement screws. Ironically, the screws we’d always used had never been the right ones.
The next day he returned, and after an hour of labor our oven door handles were firmly attached. And that bill of $2k to replace the ovens? Well – the entire repair cost us $75.
We have been in this house for nearly 9 years. In that time, we have mostly been doing routine maintenance on this house, but we have always had ideas for what we wanted to do to improve it. In the last week, we have finally been able to get some of that work done.
Flash-back to about 6 months ago. Around the time we were getting the HVAC system replaced, we talked to our plumber about the sump pump in the basement, and learned that the pump was out-dated and it was in a hole that was half the size it needed to be. He told us that it would cost about $400 to bring the pump and bucket up to code.
Also, over the last 9 years, we’ve had to replace the locks on the garage door twice, at a cost of around $150 USD each time. Our garage has 2 doors, one of which is controlled by a button inside the garage. the other by a keyed handle. We decided that we needed to replace the keyed handle door with a standard exterior door in a wall, and after talking to a contractor we learned that it could be done for $$850 USD.
We got both projects done in the last week, without going into debt, because we’d been saving up to do them over several years. We’re both very happy with the results.